MADRID, July 17 (Xinhua) -- Ernesto Valverde has been working with his players at FC Barcelona for just a week and on Monday gave spoke to the press for the first time since his official presentation as the replacement for Luis Enrique at the end of last season.
The former Athletic Club Bilbao coach joins Barca at a complicated time as his squad looks to be less balanced that that of Real Madrid, who have plugged gaps in their squad over the summer.
Barca have struggled to make the desired signings with only Gerard Deulofeu resigned from Everton and former Benfica full back Nelson Semedo the only players to arrive so far this summer.
"I don't think this is the place to discuss players that aren't ours. We have to be alert to everything, but we have a great squad and I'm happy with what we I have," said Valverde to the press.
He did admit that the club was looking to add more depth before the end of the summer, saying there was "fluid communication" with the club's sporting direction and that "names are coming up," however, he continued that he was not asking for "this player or that player, because they are my lifetime objectives."
"The best transfers are the ones who are in my team. That is what I value and it's not easy to improve what we have here," said Valverde.
"I am very happy with how things are and how things are going. The team are happy, and it's all about increasing the work load and getting in good shape physically," he continued.
Valverde said he had no intention of changing Barca's "trademark" attacking style, adding that Leo Messi would "have the same role he has had in the past. It is a relief to have him here," he added.
Barca fly to the USA in the coming days and will face Juventus in New York on July 22nd, before taking on Manchester United in Washington DC on the 26th and Real Madrid in Miami on July 30th as part of the International Champions Cup, which will give fans a hint of what to expect in the coming season.