World

Iran arrests 12 at British Council protests

English.news.cn   2011-11-30 05:31:28 FeedbackPrintRSS

TEHRAN, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- Tehran's Law Enforcement Police squads arrested 12 demonstrators on Tuesday after scores of protesters left the British Council compound in Qolhak neighborhood in Northern Tehran, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.

The local media said earlier on the day that some 300 students rallied before the British Council compound, and about 100 of them forced their way into the council building despite police prevention.

Later the police could push out the protesters and as they left the compound the police arrested 12 protesters and took them into custody at different police stations in the capital, said Fars.

On Tuesday, thousands of angry Iranians staged protests in front of the British embassy in central Tehran and the British Council compound in the Qolhak area in northern Tehran, one day after Iran's Guardian Council of the Constitution, the country's highest legislative body, unanimously approved reducing the diplomatic ties with Britain in response to its "hostile" policy against Iran.

Tehran's Police Chief, Hosein Sajedinia, said later on the day that the situation in front of the British embassy and British council has calmed down, the protesters were forced out of the compounds and some of the students were arrested.

Iran's Foreign Ministry expressed regret over the storming of the British embassy in Tehran and the ensuing incidents on Tuesday.

Related:

British embassy staff taken hostage by Iranian protesters

TEHRAN, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- Six British embassy staff were taken hostage by Iranian protesters who broke into the British Council compound in northern Tehran, local semi-official Mehr news agency reported.

Some 300 students staged a protest before the British Council compound in the Qolhak area in northern Tehran and about 100 of them forced their way into the building despite the police prevention, said the report.     Full story

Britain "holds Iranian government responsible" for storming its embassy

LONDON, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- The British foreign secretary said on Tuesday that it "holds the Iranian government responsible" for failing to protect British embassy from the storming protestors in Tehran earlier in the day.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague confirmed that two British embassy compounds in Tehran were stormed by several hundred people this afternoon, "putting the safety of our diplomats and their families at risk and causing extensive damage to our property."    Full story

Editor: yan
Related News
Home >> World Feedback Print RSS