QUITO, Aug. 31 (Xinhua) -- The Ecuadorian government on Wednesday expressed its rejection of the foreign military intervention in Libya, calling on all parties involved in the war to stop violating human rights and provide a peaceful, democratic and sovereign solution.
"The government of Ecuador reiterates its strongest rejection of the foreign military intervention in Libya, and insists that this be included in the related interpretation of events through the resolutions adopted by the United Nations Security Council," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
"Unfortunately, the resolutions have been used to justify a war bound for aggression, and ultimately to control Libyan natural resources, with the argument that this is done to defend a civilian population that has been systematically bombarded by those who claim they have intervened in its defense," the statement said.
It urged the international community to remain vigilant so that other countries in the region and elsewhere in the world would not suffer the same fate.
Ecuador has repeatedly criticized the military intervention in Libya by forces under NATO command.
Libya, which had been relatively stable under the rule of Muammar Gaddafi, has been plunged into turmoil since early February when anti-Gaddafi protests broke out in cities across the country. The unrest later escalated to a civil war as Gaddafi refused to step down. Nearly 50,000 people have died in the conflict.
Last Tuesday, rebel forces supported by NATO air raids succeeded in taking control over Gaddafi's official residence in the capital of Tripoli, from where he has ruled Libya since 1969.
Special Report: Foreign Military Intervention in Libya