|Smoke rises from the Intercontinental hotel as a NATO helicopter flies overhead, in Kabul, June 29, 2011. Xinhua/Reuters Photo)|
KABUL, June 29 (Xinhua) -- Seven civilians and six attackers were killed and eight others including two policemen were injured in the attack on the Intercontinental Hotel in Afghan capital Kabul, Kabul deputy police chief Daud Amin told Xinhua Wednesday.
Gunshots were clearly heard again from inside the Intercontinental Hotel which came under Taliban militants attack late Tuesday and early Wednesday.
"One attacker is still in the hotel," an Afghan intelligence officer told Xinhua on the spot.
Afghan Interior Minister Bismillah Mohammadi told reporters earlier the fight between militants and police finished in which six attackers were killed and two policemen sustained injuries.
The over night attack started at around 10:00 p.m. local time on Tuesday when some armed men stormed the Intercontinental Hotel with small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.
Exchange of fire between the militants and police lasted for hours till early Wednesday morning.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, speaking to media by telephone from undisclosed locations, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying some Taliban fighters equipped with suicide vests and light arms stormed the Intercontinental Hotel and inflicted casualties to foreigners and Afghans there.
The Intercontinental Hotel is one of the fortified accommodations in Kabul frequented by foreigners and Afghan officials.
Officials estimated that there were 60 to 70 guests staying at the hotel, which sits on a hill overlooking the capital.
U.S. President Barack Obama announced last week a plan to withdraw some 10,000 U.S. troops from Afghanistan this year and an additional 23,000 by the end of September 2012.
Special Report: Afghanistan Situation