World

Joint military operation launched in eastern Afghanistan: ISAF

English.news.cn   2011-04-18 20:13:13 FeedbackPrintRSS

KABUL, April 18 (Xinhua) -- Afghan and NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) have launched a military operation in Afghanistan's restive eastern province, spokesman of ISAF said on Monday.

"The operation dubbed "OQAB BAHAR III" or "Eagle Spring III" currently underway in eastern Afghanistan, captured or killed nearly 25 insurgents over the past four days, while seizing significant caches of weapons during the same time,"ISAF spokesman Brigadier-General Josef Blotz told reporters at a weekly press conference.

However, he did not give more details about the exact date of launching the operation or the areas it covers.

Responding a query on a suicide bombing carried out by an Afghan army soldier on Saturday in eastern Laghman province which killed 10 people including self and five NATO soldiers, Blotz said, "what we know so far is that the suicide bomber was an Afghan National Army service member."

"We are in the middle of an investigation which is a joint investigation," Blotz added.

Special Report: Afghanistan Situation

Editor: Fang Yang
Related News
Home >> World Feedback Print RSS