World

DPRK accuses South Korea of rejecting dialogue, contact

English.news.cn   2010-10-29 15:51:21 FeedbackPrintRSS

PYONGYANG, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Friday denounced South Korea for rejecting the north-south military working talks.

According to the official news agency KCNA, a spokesman for the north side's delegation to the north-south military working talks has issued a statement to accuse the south side of its rejecting the north-south military working talks.

"When looking back on the history of the north-south relations, it is very hard to find a precedent in which one party rejected the talks proposed by the other party even when the bilateral relations reached the lowest ebb" , the spokesman said, "because the rejection of dialogue precisely meant confrontation and war" .

The south side is obliged to apologize to the DPRK for its "hideous fabrication and charade" orchestrated against the DPRK on the "Cheonan" case "a thousand times" , he said.

The army of the DPRK will counter the south side's reckless provocation with "merciless physical retaliation" , he warned.

Although the DPRK cherishes improvement of the north-south relations, it will no longer be interested in dialogue and contact as long as South Korea keeps doing harm to the DPRK under the pretext of the "Cheonan" case. The north-south relations will move in the direction "as required by the times and the desire of the nation" even without military dialogue and contact, he added.

At the end of the statement, the spokesman urged South Korea to "keenly realize what catastrophic impact" their rejection of dialogue will have on the north-south relations.

The 1,200-ton "Cheonan" with 104 crew members onboard sank on March 26 near the maritime border with the DPRK after an unexplained explosion. Only 58 sailors were rescued alive shortly after the sinking. The South Korean investigators issued the results of the investigation on May 20 that the "Cheonan" was sunken by the torpedo of the DPRK. A spokesman for the DPRK National Defence Commission issued a statement on May 20 to reject the claim of the south and indicated to send an inspection group to the south to verify material evidence. However the south rejected that request.

Related:

Military talks between UNC, DPRK fall through: UNC

SEOUL, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- Military talks earlier this week between the U.S.-led United Nations Command (UNC) and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) fell through, the UNC said Friday.

The two sides held Wednesday the seventh round of colonel-level talks to prepare for a general-level meeting over the sinking of a South Korean warship in March, which killed 46 South Korean sailors. Full story

U.S. defends continued military presence in South Korea

WASHINGTON, Oct. 28 (Xinhua) -- A senior White House official on Thursday defended continued U.S. military presence in South Korea as necessary, calling it a "cornerstone of stability and prosperity" for U.S. allies.

"We think that the United States military presence in the region has been fundamental to its security and stability," said Ben Rhodes, White House Deputy National Security Advisor For strategic Communications. "It's enabled the peaceful rise of multiple powers, it's supported the security of our allies -- Japan and (South) Korea." Full story

Six-party talks depend on U.S. position: DPRK media

PYONGYANG, Oct. 28 (Xinhua) -- Leading media of Democratic People' s Republic Korea (DPRK) said the destiny of six-party talks and the future of denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula depends on the position of the U.S.

Rodong Sinmun of the DPRK said in an article that although the concerned countries hope the six-party talks can be resumed as early as possible to create advantageous environment for the peace and stability of north-east Asia and the world, the ambition of the U.S to preempt a nuclear attack on the DPRK put hurdle to the settlement of nuclear issue on the peninsula. Full story

Editor: Xiong Tong
Related News
Home >> World Feedback Print RSS