World

Yemen rejects U.S. role in fighting al-Qaida

English.news.cn   2010-08-27 03:53:40 FeedbackPrintRSS

"The strike, though, was not the work of Mr. Saleh's decrepit Soviet-era air force," said the New York Times, referring to Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

The newspaper added that "the strike was a secret mission by the United States military, according to American officials, at least the fourth such assault on al-Qaida in the arid mountains and deserts of Yemen since December."

The ministry's spokesman told Xinhua on condition of anonymity that "the Yemeni government has been exerting continuous efforts to deny any military involvement by the U.S in all secret operations against al-Qaida group in Yemen.

"Now we can say that the U.S. must hold responsibility for what has been reported by The New York Times," the spokesman said.

Moreover, Amnesty International released on June 7 some photographs that displayed remnants of alleged U.S. cluster bombs and missiles fired at southern Yemen from alleged U.S. warships in the Gulf of Aden last December.

The watchdog's photographs apparently were taken following an air strike on Dec. 17, 2009, on a suspected al-Qaida training camp in al-Ma'jalah in south Yemen's Abyan province, killing 41 local residents, including 14 women and 21 children. The Yemeni government, however, insisted that its forces launched the raid alone.

Neighboring top oil exporter Saudi Arabia and the U.S. paid more attention to Yemen's security affairs after the Yemen-based al-Qaida wing boasted that it was behind a failed attempt to destroy a U.S. passenger plane bound for Detroit in December last year.

Related:

Yemeni senior security officer severely injured in al-Qaida ambush

SANAA, Aug. 26 (Xinhua) -- A senior Yemeni security officer was seriously injured in an al-Qaida ambush on Thursday in the northeast troubled province of Marib, home of Yemen's major location of oil facilities, a local police official said.

Colonel Mohammed Faree, deputy director of the criminal investigation unit in Marib, was badly wounded when al-Qaida gunmen opened a hail of bullets on his vehicle late Thursday, the police official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.   Full story

Yemen regains control over Qaida-stronghold city in south

SANAA, Aug. 25 (Xinhua) -- Yemeni security forces have regained control over the southern al-Qaida's stronghold city of Lodar following five days of ferocious battles, killing at least 12 gunmen, the country's interior ministry said on Tuesday.

"Al-Qaida militants have been expelled from the Lodar city of the southern province of Abyan," the ministry said in a statement posted on its website, citing Deputy Interior Minister Saleh Hussein al-Zuari.   Full story

Editor: yan

   1 2  

Related News
Home >> World Feedback Print RSS