World

Afghan gov't confirms 39 civilians dead in NATO attack

English.news.cn   2010-08-05 23:20:37 FeedbackPrintRSS

KABUL, Aug. 5 (Xinhua) -- The official investigation has confirmed that 39 civilians were killed by NATO-led troops late last month in Sangin district in southern Afghan province of Helmand, a statement released by Presidential Place said on Thursday.

"The report presented by Senator Mullah Shir Mohammad Akhundzada, who leads the investigating team, to the President on Wednesday said that some families gathered in a house to escape the conflict when a rocket of the allied force hit the house killing 39 people including women and children," according to the statement.

Four other civilians were injured in the incident on July 23 when Afghan and NATO-led troops were fighting Taliban insurgents in the area.

However, NATO said no civilians were killed in Sangin district on that day.

Special Report: Afghanistan Situation

Editor: Mu Xuequan
Related News
Home >> World Feedback Print RSS