World

Suicide attack hits U.S. convoy, 3 policemen wounded in Iraq's Anbar province

English.news.cn   2010-06-10 21:53:13 FeedbackPrintRSS

Suicide attack hits U.S. convoy, 3 policemen wounded in Iraq's Anbar province

RAMADI, Iraq, June 10 (Xinhua) -- A suicide car bomber struck a U.S. military convoy and three policemen were wounded in a separate bomb attack in Iraq's western province of Anbar on Thursday, a provincial police source said.

The suicide attack took place in the afternoon on the highway near the town of al-Saqlawiyah near the city of Fallujah, some 50 km west of Baghdad, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.

The attack damaged one of the convoy's vehicles, the source said without giving further details about whether the American soldiers sustained any casualty as the troops cordoned off the scene.

Separately, three policemen were wounded when a roadside bomb struck their patrol in the city of Qaim, near the Iraqi-Syrian border, the source added.

Insurgent attacks continue in the once volatile province of Anbar, which has been relatively calm for about three years after Sunni tribes and anti-U.S. insurgent groups turned to cooperate with the U.S. troops and Iraqi security forces against al-Qaida network in Iraq, which the province was one of its main strongholds in the war-torn country.

Earlier in the day, the Iraqi police said that a policeman was killed and nine people were injured in separate bomb attacks in Baghdad and Iraq's eastern province of Diyala, including a roadside bomb attack that struck another U.S. military patrol in the city of Khalis, 20 km northwest of Diyala's provincial capital of Baquba, without giving information about any casualty.

The U.S. military did not yet confirm both the Thursday's attacks against its military convoys in Diyala and Anbar provinces.

Editor: Jiang Yuxia
Related News
Home >> World Feedback Print RSS