World

Suspicious pieces collected from S Korean warship sinking area

English.news.cn   2010-04-30 22:09:27 FeedbackPrintRSS

SEOUL, April 30 (Xinhua) -- Some suspicious metal and plastic pieces of debris have been collected from waters where the South Korean naval frigate "Cheonan" went down late March.

Defense Minister Kim Tae-young made the revelation before the parliamentary defense committee on Friday, according to Yonhap News Agency.

Kim said so far a total of 540 pieces of debris have been collected from the area, and there are one plastic piece and four aluminum pieces have been found among 193 items that have been analyzed by experts.

The aluminum ones appear to be different from the materials used to build the warship, Kim said.

Yonhap said aluminum is a key element used in making torpedoes, while sea mines are made mostly of iron.

The experts are focusing their efforts on analyzing these suspicious pieces, Kim said.

Kim also said chemical analysis on 140 pieces of debris showed no traces of explosive residue.

The 1,200-ton Navy frigate "Cheonan", with 104 crew members onboard, went down on March 26 near the South Korean island of Baekryeongdo off the west coast due to an unexplained explosion that split it in two. Only 58 sailors were rescued.

A joint civilian and military investigation team on Sunday said there is a high possibility that a "non-contact external explosion ", or "close-range external explosion" led to the warship's sinking.

Related:

S Koreans bid last farewell to fallen sailors in naval disaster

SEOUL, April 29 (Xinhua) -- South Koreans bade their last farewell Thursday to the 46 sailors killed in a recent naval disaster near a tense border with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in an emotional mass funeral earlier in the day.

Thousands of mourners, including bereaved families, a somber- faced President Lee Myung-bak and other political heavyweights, packed a naval base in Pyeongtaek, 70 km south of Seoul, where the funeral was held.Full story

S. Korean parliament to look into mysterious naval incident

SEOUL, April 28 (Xinhua) -- The South Korea parliament passed a resolution Wednesday to form a special committee to look into a mysterious sinking last month of a navy warship that killed scores of sailors, local media reported.

Twenty members of parliament, ten each from the ruling and the opposition parties, will conduct a two-month investigation into the incident aimed at determining the cause of the sinking and seeking to enhance crisis management capabilities of the military, according to Yonhap News Agency. Full story

S Korea rules out its sea mines as cause of naval disaster

SEOUL, April 28 (Xinhua) -- South Korea Wednesday ruled out a possibility that sea mines South Korea placed near a tense maritime border with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea ( DPRK) might have caused a recent sinking of its warship, local media reported.

"Technically, there is no possibility that sea mines laid near Baekryeong island by South Korean forces might have exploded," the defense ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae told reporters in a briefing, according to Yonhap News Agency. Full story

Editor: Lin Zhi
Related News
Home >> World Feedback Print RSS