CONCEPCION, Chile, March 15 (Xinhua) -- An aftershock of 6.7-magnitude hit near the coast of Concepcion on Monday, registering the strongest one since the 8.8-magnitude temblor on Feb. 27 that battered the Chilean city.
But no tsunami alert has been issued so far, though the aftershock left the city without power.
Intense movements of the ground were felt for between 30 and 60 seconds as local residents rushed out of buildings for safety, breaking a shortened curfew.
The U.S. Geological Survey located the epicenter of the strong aftershock at 34 kilometers deep in the Pacific and 72 kilometers northwest of Concepcion.
Local radio reports said the aftershock was felt in several regions including metropolitan Concepcion.
The latest aftershock was one of over 200 that have rocked the South American nation since the February megaquake.
The devastating quake and ensuing tsunamis late last month killed about 500 people and tore up roads and towns.
It caused an estimated 30 billion U.S. dollars worth of damage to infrastructure, houses and industry, the Chilean government said last week.