SANTO DOMINGO, Nov. 28 (Xinhua) -- The health minister of the Dominican Republic announced the country's seventh case of cholera here on Sunday.
Bautista Rojas Gomez, who was once a doctor, said that a five-year-old girl caught the disease in Santo Domingo province and that she was the cousin of the sixth case, whose infection was announced on Saturday.
The minister said that Dominican doctors would stage a second intervention in "Little Haiti," a Santo Domingo slum that hosts thousands of Haitians.
"We issued them a warning to raise hygiene standards when preparing food and it was ignored," Rojas said.
So far, all the cases reported were of people living in Rio Ozama, where people are living in extreme poverty and without appropriate sanitation.
Rojas Tuesday said that the Republic will distribute 5 million flyers, posters and support materials in order to prevent the spread of cholera.
He said that some 100,000 volunteers would seek to reach 2 million homes during the day of action. Transport companies and universities will also take part in the action.