BEIJING, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- Chinese scientists have decided to reschedule the launch of the Tiangong-1, an unmanned space module, due to the failed launch of an experimental orbiter, a spokesperson with the project said Thursday.
The decision to delay the launch was based on the consideration that the carrier rocket Long-March II-F, which would be used for the upcoming launch, belongs to the same series as the malfunctioning one that led to the experimental orbiter SJ-11-04 failing to enter Earth's orbit in August.
"As the investigation into the malfunction of the rocket Long-March II-C remains underway, it is not clear yet whether the malfunction is linked with the Long-March II-F," the unnamed spokesperson said.
Previously, the Long-March II-F was expected to send the 8.5-metric ton Tiangong-1, or "Heavenly Palace 1," into space in the second half of this year to perform the nation's first space-docking procedure.
The Tiangong-1 will dock with the unmanned Shenzhou-8 spacecraft, which will be sent into space after the Tiangong-1's launch.
"The specific launch date for the Tiangong-1 will be set based on the results of the investigation into the malfunctioning rocket," the spokesperson said, adding that the project's teams are currently double-checking every product that will be involved in the space-docking.
The Shenzhou-8 spacecraft, the Long March II-F carrier rocket, and the Tiangong-1 have all been transferred to the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, the spokesperson said.