China

China expresses regret for military strike against Libya

English.news.cn   2011-03-20 11:16:18 FeedbackPrintRSS

BEIJING, March 20 (Xinhua) -- China's Foreign Ministry on Sunday expressed regret over the multinational military strike against Libya, saying that it did not agree with resorting to force in international relations.

"China has noticed the latest development in Libya and regrets the military strike against Libya," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said.

China, as it always, does not agree with the use of force in international relations, Jiang said, when asked to comment on the strike carried out by multinational forces early Sunday.

China believes that the tenet and principles of the United Nations Charter and relevant international laws should be adhered to, and Libya's sovereignty, independence, unification and territory integrity should be respected, she said.

"We hope stability could be restored in Libya as soon as possible so as to avoid more civilian casualties caused by the escalation of military conflicts," she said.

Related:

U.S. launches missile attack against Libya

WASHINGTON, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Speaking in condition of anonymity, a senior U.S. military official said the strikes targeted air defense sites along the Libyan coast. The sites were around Libyan capital Tripoli and western region of Misrata. The official said the strikes were the first stage of the assault that would involve U.S. Navy ships and planes. Full story

Over 20 Libyan air defense sites struck: Pentagon

WASHINGTON, March 19 (Xinhua) -- "Over 110 Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired earlier in the afternoon from both U.S. and British ships and submarines struck more than 20 integrated air defense systems and other air defense facilities ashore," U.S. Vice Admiral William Gortney, director of the Joint Staff told a Pentagon briefing.Full story

French force launches strike against Gaddafi troops

PARIS, March 19 (Xinhua) -- French air force has launched strikes against Gaddafi troops, the spokesman of French general staff Thierry Burckhard told local media, hours after the Paris summit agreed on military intervention on Saturday.Full story

Norway to send 6 F16 jet fighters for operations against Libya

OSLO, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Six F16 jet fighters from Norway will take part in the Western-led military operations against Libya after the Norwegian Air Force has been given the go-ahead, the Norwegian news agency NTB reported on Saturday.Full story

British PM says time for action in Libya

LONDON, March 19 (Xinhua) -- The time has come for action in Libya, British Prime Minister David Cameron said Saturday after attending a summit of world leaders in Paris that focus on ways to implement the UN resolution that imposes no-fly zone in Libya, BBC reported.Full story

AU panel says opposed to foreign military intervention in Libya: media report

NOUAKCHOTT, March 19 (Xinhua) -- AFP quoted Mauritanian President Ould Abdel Aziz as saying that  the high-level African Union panel on the Libya crisis has said it opposes any foreign military intervention in Libya.Full story

Russia regrets military actions against Libya

MOSCOW, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Russia regretted the military intervention led by foreign countries in Libya, the Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said in a Saturday statement. Lukashevich also said the military actions against Libya was based on a "hastily passed" UN Security Council resolution.Full story

48 killed, 150 wounded in West air strikes, Libyan TV says

TRIPOLI, March 20 (Xinhua) -- At least 48 people were killed and 150 others wounded in the West air strikes, the Libyan state television said on Sunday.Full story

France denies plane shot down in Libya

PARIS, March 19 (Xinhua) -- "We deny (that), all the planes that went out today have returned," spokesman of French General Staff, Thierry Burkhard was quoted by AFP as saying.Full story

 

Editor: Wang Guanqun
Related News
Home >> China Feedback Print RSS