China

Death toll rises to 2,046 in NW China quake

English.news.cn   2010-04-20 13:11:07 FeedbackPrintRSS

Special report: Qinghai Earthquake

 
Aerial Image taken on April 16, 2010 shows the quake-hit Yushu County, northwest China's Qinghai Province. (Xinhua/Gou Baogang)

YUSHU, Qinghai, April 20 (Xinhua) -- The death toll has climbed to 2,046 from a devastating earthquake in northwest China's Qinghai Province, with 193 people still missing, the rescue headquarters said Tuesday.

As of 10 a.m. Tuesday, the 7.1-magnitude quake, which struck the Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Yushu last Wednesday, has also left 12,135 injured, of which 1,434 are in serious condition, the rescue headquarters said.

Related:

China to mourn quake victims

BEIJING, April 20 (Xinhua) -- To mourn the victims of a strong earthquake in northwest China's Qinghai Province, national flags will fly at half-mast in the country and its embassies and consulates overseas on Wednesday, according to the State Council Tuesday. Full story

Death toll rises to 2,039 in NW China quake

YUSHU, Qinghai, April 20 (Xinhua) -- The death toll has climbed to 2,039 from a devastating earthquake in northwest China's Qinghai Province, with 195 people still missing, according to the rescue headquarters. Full story

Chinese President pledges all-out rebuilding efforts as concerted relief work continues

 

Chinese President Hu Jintao(C)speaks to soldiers of the Chinese People's Liberation Army and policemen carrying out relief work at Zhaxike Village of Gyegu Town in quake-hit Yushu County,northwest China's Qinghai Province, April 18, 2010. (Xinhua/Lan Hongguang) 

YUSHU, Qinghai, April 19 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao visited quake-hit Yushu in northwest China's Qinghai Province Sunday, vowing to help victims rebuild their homes as most of them now settle in tents with basic needs met. Full story

Int'l community continues to convey condolences to China over Qinghai earthquake

BEIJING, April 19 (Xinhua) -- In the past two days, more foreign leaders and heads of international and regional organizations have sent their condolences to Chinese leaders over a powerful earthquake that hit northwest China's Qinghai Province on Wednesday. Full story

Chinese Vice Premier orders reconstruction plans for Qinghai quake zone

BEIJING, April 19 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Vice Premier Hui Liangyu said Monday the government would promptly draw up and implement reconstruction plans for the area in northwest China's Qinghai Province that was hit by a strong earthquake on Wednesday.

"We must make reconstruction schemes and timetables based on scientific assessment and good planning, and carry them out as soon as possible," Hui said at a State Council, or Cabinet, meeting in Beijing. Full story

Social order in quake zones stable: Ministry

BEIJING, April 18 (Xinhua) -- Social order in the quake-hit Yushu prefecture in northwest China's Qinghai Province has remained stable, a Public Security Ministry official said here Sunday.

No criminal cases, major traffic accidents, or major security incidents have so far been reported in the quake zones, Wu Heping, a spokesman of the Ministry of Public Security told a press conference. Full story

Editor: Lin Zhi
Related News
Home >> China Feedback Print RSS