TEHRAN, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) -- Iran's air defense forces have warned off a number of foreign surveillance aircraft that tried to approach the country's airspace in the past two days, a senior Iranian commander said on Monday.
"Yesterday and today, several warnings have been given to the reconnaissance planes belonging to foreign forces near the country's borders. A number of the planes were U-2," Lieutenant Commander of Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base General Shahrokh Shahram was quoted as saying by Tasnim news agency.
Earlier this month, Commander of Iran's Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base Brigadier General Farzad Esmaili said his forces had identified a U-2 reconnaissance plane and forced it to leave the country's airspace.
The intruding aircraft, in possession of the United States, was forced to leave the country when the air defense systems were prepared to hit the plane, the Iranian commander said.