Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Ferguson  Children  IS  Gaza  MH 17  

U.S. fails to rescue American hostage in Yemen operation

English.news.cn   2014-12-05 03:50:45

WASHINGTON, Dec. 4 (Xinhua) -- The White House acknowledged Thursday that a U.S. military operation launched last month failed to rescue an American journalist kidnapped by al-Qaida militants in Yemen.

"The mission was coordinated with the Yemeni government and was undertaken by U.S. and Yemeni forces," National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said in a statement. "Regrettably, Luke was not present, though hostages of other nationalities were present and were rescued."

Luke Somers, 33, was seized by al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa in September 2013.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said the rescue operation involved air and ground forces.

"We use the full breadth of our military, intelligence, law enforcement and diplomatic capabilities to bring people home whenever we can," he said in a statement, adding "Details about the mission remain classified."

Press reports said President Barack Obama personally authorized the rescue mission.

The revelation came hours after the AQAP posted online a video purporting to show Somers appealing for help.

"It's now been well over a year since I've been kidnapped in Sanaa," Somers, a photojournalist, said in the video. "Basically, I'm looking for any help that can get me out of this situation. I' m certain that my life is in danger. So as I sit here now, I ask if anything can be done, please let it be done."

Editor: Mu Xuequan
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011105091272782121