CAIRO, Nov. 30 (Xinhua) -- An Egyptian court sentenced the Muslim Brotherhood's top official Mohammed Badie and 26 of the Islamist group's leading figures to three years in prison for insulting the judiciary.
Badie and other defendants were in the criminal court of Cairo Sunday on charges of jailbreak during the 2011 uprising.
The judge delivered the sentence after the group's leaders offended the court during trial.
The trial of Badie and other defendants on the charge of escaping from jail has been adjourned to December 20.
Badie along with ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi and 130 Brotherhood and Palestinian Hamas movement members face charges of breaking out of prison during the 2011 popular uprising.
Sunday's sentences came one day after an Egyptian court cleared Mubarak over killing hundreds of protestors during the 2011 revolution that toppled him.
At least two people were killed and 13 others were injured Saturday in Cairo during clashes between the Egyptian police and hundreds of protesters after Mubarak's acquittal verdict.
The Muslim Brotherhood was designated a terrorist organization last year by Egyptian authorities.
Many of the group's members and supporters are in prison, including Morsi, awaiting trials relating to inciting violence, conspiring with foreign powers to destabilize Egypt and killing protestors.
CAIRO, Nov. 30 (Xinhua) -- At least two people were killed and 13 others injured late Saturday in clashes between Egyptian police and protesters after a court dropped murder charges against ousted President Hosni Mubarak, the Health Ministry said. Full story
CAIRO, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- A Cairo criminal court on Saturday cleared Egypt's former President Hosni Mubarak over killing protesters during the 2011 protests that unseated him. Full story
CAIRO, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- Egypt's ousted president Hosni Mubarak said in the court Wednesday that he didn't give orders to kill protesters during the 2011 popular uprising against his long- time rule, state-run Nile TV reported.
"A man like me who was responsible for defending the country and its people, as belonging to the armed forces for more than 60 years, couldn't order the killing of my people," Mubarak said in a speech to the judges' panel.Full story
CAIRO, May 21 (Xinhua) -- An Egyptian court on Wednesday found former President Hosni Mubarak guilty of embezzling public funds designated for building maintenance and sentenced him to three years in jail, state-run Nile TV reported.
The Cairo Criminal Court, presided by Judge Ousama Shaheen, also sentenced Mubarak's sons, Alaa and Gamal, to four-year jail terms in the same case.Full story