OTTAWA, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) -- Canada is not immune to terror attacks but not intimidated by terrorism, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Wednesday after a gunmen attacked the parliament and killed a soldier earlier in the day.
"Canada will never be intimidated" by the terrorist attack, said Harper in a televised national address, describing the unprecedented violent act in Ottawa as "a grim reminder that Canada is not immune to the types of terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere around the world."
Harper pledged strengthened resolve and redoubled efforts to fight terrorism and vowed to "take all necessary steps to identify and counter threats and keep Canada safe here at home."
The assault on Parliament Hill occurred just one day after Canada dispatched six of its CF-18 fighter jets to Kuwait as part of the U.S.-led international combat mission against Islamic State extremists in Iraq, generating concerns about bringing global fight against IS outside the area.
U.S. President Barack Obama spoke by phone with Harper and later told reporters in Washington, D.C. that the attack in Ottawa "emphasizes the degree to which we have to remain vigilant when it comes to dealing with these kinds of senseless acts of violence, or terrorism."
The Chinese embassy in Ottawa also issued a statement, offering to "provide assistance if needed."
Last week, Canadian security authority announced the country's domestic terrorism alert was heightened from "unlikely" to "could occur" for the first time since 2010.
Related:
Canada vows to intensify anti-terror efforts after shootings
OTTAWA, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) -- Canada will not be intimidated by terrorism and will enhance its fight against terrorist organizations, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said on Wednesday.
"We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated," Harper said in a televised address to the nation after a shooting rampage in the parliament building killed a guard and a gunman. Full Story
Canadian parliament under lockdown after shootings, one gunman killed
OTTAWA, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- The Canadian Parliament and its surrounding area have been under lockdown after multiply gunshots were fired inside the legislative building on Wednesday morning.
It is reported that a suspected gunman was shot dead inside the parliament building. No organization or individual has claimed responsibility for the shootings. Full story
Canada soldier shot near parliament has died: cabinet minister
OTTAWA, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- A Canadian soldier standing guard at the National War Memorial in Ottawa was gunned down and a security guard in the nearby parliament buildings wounded on Wednesday in an attack that police believe involved more than one gunman.
"Condolences to family of the soldier killed and prayers for the parliamentary guard wounded. Canada will not be terrorized or intimidated," Canada's Minister of Employment and Social Development Jason Kenney said on Twitter. Full story
U.S. locks down embassy in Ottawa following shooting incidents
WASHINGTON, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- The United States on Wednesday locked down its embassy in Ottawa following a series of shooting incidents in the Canadian capital.
"Due to shooting at Parliament Hill in Ottawa earlier, we are currently on lockdown," the embassy said in its Twitter account, adding "We will update once further information is available." Full story