Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Gaza  MH 17  Ukraine  Prince George  Mexico quake  

32 IS militants killed in attacks on two towns in Iraq's Anbar

English.news.cn   2014-10-22 21:55:54

BAGHDAD, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- Iraqi security forces and allied tribal fighters repelled attacks by Islamic State (IS) militants on two towns in the western province of Anbar, leaving more than 32 militants, security sources said on Wednesday.

In one of the attacks, IS militants carried out an attack in the early hours of the day on the town of Ameriyat al-Fallujah, some 40 km west of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, but were repelled by Iraqi security forces and allied local Sunni tribesmen, a source from Anbar provincial operations command, told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.

The militants tried to enter the town, which has been under the siege of the IS militants for more than two weeks, from three directions but after several hours they withdrew from the scene by the fierce battles and heavy bombardment by the warplanes of the U. S.-led coalitions and Iraqi aircraft, the source said.

The battles left some 32 militants killed and destroyed nine of their vehicles, the source added.

The strategic town of Ameriyat al-Fallujah is the last major town under control of the government ahead of Baghdad, and also located some 60 km of desert land north of the Shiite holy city of Karbala, which located some 108 km south of Baghdad. If the militants seize the town they will be closer to the Iraqi capital and will also be able to move closer to Karbala and pound it with artillery and mortars.

Also in the province, the security forces and allied Sunni tribesmen repelled in the morning another attack by the IS militants in the partially seized town of Heet, some 160 km west of Baghdad, a provincial security source told Xinhua.

The militants apparently failed to advance further in the town, the source said, adding that there is no immediate reports about casualties as sporadic clashes continued after the major battle.

Most of Heet has been under the control of IS militants since October 13 except for its al-Furat suburb on the eastern side of Euphrates River which is seized by the Sunni tribe of Albu-Nimer and some security forces.

IS group is seizing some 80 percent of Iraq's largest province of Anbar and is trying to surround Baghdad from its outer belt, but observers see that it is not possible for the extremist Sunni group to enter the capital which most of its population from the Shiite community and is heavily fortified with security forces and dozens of thousands of Shiite militias. Since December last year, insurgent attacks continue in the Sunni Arab heartland in west of Baghdad that stretches through Anbar province, which has been the scene of fierce clashes that flared up after Iraqi police dismantled an anti-government protest site outside the city of Ramadi.

 

 

Editor: Luan
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001337355171