DAMASCUS, Sept. 23 (Xinhua) -- Washington had informed Syria of airstrikes against positions of the Islamic State (IS) in Syria before they started, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.
The statement said that Syria's envoy to the United Nations was notified on Monday of the commencement of the U.S.-led airstrikes in Syria's northern province of al-Raqqa, adding the airstrikes started before daybreak Tuesday.
Moreover, the ministry stated that U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told his Syrian counterpart Walid al-Moallem about the strikes via Iraq's Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari, just hours ahead of the launch of the strikes.
Syria will not stop fighting terrorism, the ministry said, adding that the war against the IS terror group will continue in coordination with Iraq and other countries struck by its threat.
The ministry concluded by stating that "Syria, while once again stressing that it is with every international effort aiming at fighting terrorism, asserts that such efforts should take place with full consideration to the lives of the civilians and under the sovereignty of Syria in accordance with the international laws. "
Meanwhile, the oppositional Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the United States launched 20 rounds of airstrikes in al- Raqqa and its surroundings region, killing at least eight fighters of the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front.
Abu Muhammad al-Raqqawi, a local activist, told media that the first strike targeted the al-Tabaqa military airbase, which had been captured by the IS recently.
Other activists said tens of the IS fighters were either killed or injured in the strikes.
Washington and its partners have begun striking IS targets in Syria with a mix of fighters, bombers and Tomahawk missiles, according to the Pentagon.
Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates have reportedly participated in the airstrikes.
DAMASCUS, Sept. 23 (Xinhua) -- At least seven fighters of the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front and eight civilians were killed Tuesday in the U.S.-led air strikes against the positions of the extremist groups in the countryside of the northwestern province of Idlib, according to the oppositional Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Three positions of the Nusra Front between the Idlib and the northwestern province of Aleppo were hit by the U.S.-led air strikes, said the Observatory, adding that the Islamic State (IS) militants had evacuated their positions in the city of Manbej in the countryside of Aleppo ahead of the strikes. Full story
WASHINGTON, Sept. 22 (Xinhua) -- The United States and partner nations have begun striking Islamic State (IS) targets in Syria, using a mix of fighters, bombers and Tomahawk missiles, the Pentagon said Monday night.
"I can confirm that U.S. military and partner nation forces are undertaking military action against ISIL terrorists in Syria using a mix of fighter, bomber and Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles," said Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby in a statement. Full story