GAZA, Aug. 25 (Xinhua) -- A series of powerful explosions wrecked the northern part of Gaza city after Israeli war jets struck a 14-floor residential tower with four heavy missiles, the pro-Hamas al-Aqsa Television reported.
Ashraf al-Qedra, the health ministry spokesman said that around 25, most of them are paramedics and journalists, were injured in the heavy airstrike on the residential tower, which consists of 100 apartments and 150 stores.
Witnesses said four small rockets were fired from Israeli drones and after a short while, four heavy bombs landed on the huge building and turned it into rubble. Ambulances rushed to the neighborhood and evacuated the casualties.
This residential town, located in Nasser Street, is known as the Italian residential compound. It was built in 1995 by an Italian construction company.
The residents of the tower said they received warning phone calls from Israeli army speakers, telling the residents to evacuate their houses because there are apartments in the residential towers used by Hamas movement.
Earlier on Saturday, Israeli war jets destroyed another residential tower in Gaza city's Remal neighborhood in Gaza city, leaving dozens injured.
Israel and Hamas resumed fighting after the indirect negotiations in Cairo, aiming at achieving ceasefire in the hostility which began on July 8, had collapsed on Tuesday.
More than 2,000 Palestinians have been killed and more than 10, 000 injured as a result of the Israeli offensive. Sixty-seven Israelis have died, 64 of them were soldiers.
JERUSALEM/GAZA, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that the military operation in Gaza will go on until Israel's security goals are reached.
"We've proven in the last days that there will not be any immunity to those who fire at Israeli citizens," Netanyahu said ahead of the weekly cabinet meeting, held at Tel Aviv's Kirya military headquarters, according to a statement from his office. Full story