JERUSALEM/GAZA, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that the military operation in Gaza will go on until Israel's security goals are reached.
"We've proven in the last days that there will not be any immunity to those who fire at Israeli citizens," Netanyahu said ahead of the weekly cabinet meeting, held at Tel Aviv's Kirya military headquarters, according to a statement from his office.
"It's true for all fronts," the prime minister said, referring to rocket barrages fired from Lebanon and Syria towards northern Israel on Saturday night, along with the incoming rocket fire from the Gaza Strip.
"We are determined to complete the task and Operation Protective Edge will continue until we complete this mission," Netanyahu said, adding that the operation may continue after the school year which is set to start on Sept 1.
He said the government will assist residents in southern Israel who have been severely economically damaged by the war and promised it will compile a reimbursement package.
In the meantime, the fighting is still ongoing between Israel and Hamas. Five Israelis were injured, one of them in severe condition, from a mortar explosion in southern Israel's Sha'ar Ha' Negev regional council on Sunday noon.
Israel, on its part, continues to attack targets in the Gaza Strip. According to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) Spokesperson, more than 30 rockets and shells have been fired since midnight from Gaza towards Israel, mostly to southern communities but also to central and south central Israel.
For his part, Ashraf al-Qedra, the health ministry spokesman in Gaza told reporters that a Palestinian was killed and five injured in an Israeli airstrike on a car that drove in Gaza city's Remal neighborhood on Sunday.
He added that earlier on Sunday two more Palestinians were killed and five were injured in an Israeli airstrike on a house in central Gaza Strip town of Deir el-Ballah.
Al-Qedra also said that since midnight up-to-date, 10 Palestinians were killed and more than 30 wounded in a series of intensive Israeli airstrikes on houses, unconstructed lands, farms and cars all over the Gaza Strip.
Meanwhile, the health ministry in Gaza said in a press statement that the death toll since July 8 climbed to 2,108 and 10, 660 wounded. As many as 68 Israelis have been killed in the conflict.
Half a million of Palestinians have been displaced and great damages were caused to infrastructure in the enclave.
Israeli and Palestinian delegates conducted on and off indirect talks via Egyptian mediators in the last three weeks to achieve a permanent cease-fire to end the operation, but the truce efforts collapsed last week.