Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: MH 17  Gaza  Ukraine  Prince George  Mexico quake  

Ukrainian security chief accuses Russia of "direct invasion" after aid convoy crosses border

English.news.cn   2014-08-22 20:49:37
• Ukraine Friday accused Moscow of launching a "direct invasion" after a convoy crossed the border.
• "These trucks will be used to transport equipment and weapons to the insurgents," Nalyvaychenko said.
• But Ukrainian side will refrain from using any force against the convoy to "avoid provocations," he added.
 
 

KIEV, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) -- Ukrainian security chief on Friday accused Moscow of launching a "direct invasion" after a convoy of more than 30 Russian aid trucks crossed the border into Ukraine without Kiev's permission.

"We are saying that this is a direct invasion," Valentyn Nalyvaychenko, head of the Ukrainian Security Service, told reporters at a press briefing.

Nalyvaychenko said that the vehicles were moving without a permission from the Ukrainian side and did not have the escort from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) as had been agreed earlier.

"These trucks will be used to transport equipment and weapons to the insurgents," he said.

But the Ukrainian side will refrain from using any force against the convoy to "avoid provocations," Nalyvaychenko said.

Earlier in the day, local media reported that part of Russia's humanitarian auto convoy crossed the frontier at Ukraine' s border crossing of Izvarino, which is controlled by the independence-seeking insurgents.

In Moscow, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement Friday that Russia was ready for ICRC employee's participation in accompanying the convoy and its further distribution.

But the ICRC said in its post on Twitter later that its representatives were not escorting the convoy due to the volatile security situation in the area.

On Aug. 12, a 280-truck convoy carrying some 2,000 tons of relief supplies, including food, medication, sleeping bags and power generators, departed from Moscow for the eastern Ukrainian city of Lugansk.

The convoy has been parked not far from the Ukrainian-Russian border since Aug. 14, with Moscow and Kiev blaming each other for the suspension of the aid.

Related:

Russian humanitarian convoy enters Ukraine without Kiev consent

MOSCOW, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) -- Part of Russia's humanitarian auto convoy crossed Ukrainian border Friday without consent from the country, in what Moscow said was a result of intolerance of Kiev's deliberate delay.

"Russian side decided to act," the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement, adding that Moscow was ready for International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) employee's participation in accompanying the convoy and its further distribution. Full story

10 killed as Ukrainian government steps up offensive against rebels

KIEV, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- At least 10 people have been killed in eastern Ukraine over the past 24 hours as government troops stepped up their offensive against independence-seeking insurgents, authorities said Thursday.

According to Andrei Lysenko, spokesman for the National Security and Defense Council, five Ukrainian servicemen were killed overnight in confrontation with rebels.Full Story

Ukraine starts clearance of Russian humanitarian cargo

KIEV, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- Ukrainian customs officers have started the clearance of Russia's humanitarian aid cargo, authorities said Thursday.

According to the press service of the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC), the clearance procedure began at around 2:15 p.m. local time (1115 GMT) at the Donetsk border checkpoint in Russia' s southwest Rostov region.Full Story

Editor: yanting
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001335770751