Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: MH 17  Gaza  Ukraine  Prince George  Mexico quake  

Israeli war jets intensively strike on Gaza city, 3 killed: Medics

English.news.cn   2014-08-20 04:44:03
• Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in Israeli war jets' airstrikes on Tuesday night.
• Earlier on Tuesday,Hamas said that Hamas wasn't responsible for the four rockets fired earlier.
• Israel has launched on July 8 a large-scale ground and air offensive to rein on Gaza militants and stop rockets firing.
 

ISRAEL-GAZA-CEASEFIRE-END
An Israeli Merkava tank rolls in southern Israel bordering the Gaza Strip, on Aug. 19, 2014. Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza City on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, medics said. (Xinhua/JINI/Ilan Asayaag)

GAZA, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets' airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, medics said.

Ashraf al-Qedra, Gaza health ministry spokesman, told reporters that three Palestinians were killed, including a child and a woman and around 40 wounded in an airstrike on al-Dalou family house in northwest Gaza city.

He added that eight Palestinians were injured earlier on Tuesday afternoon in Israeli war jets airstrikes on northern, central and southern Gaza Strip.

Earlier, eyewitnesses said Israeli war jets carried out a series of intensive airstrikes on several areas in Gaza city on Tuesday night, including a house, killing one child and wounding at least 40 people.

Meanwhile, al-Qassam Brigades, Hamas armed wing said in a text message that its militants fired on Tuesday night several rockets on Tel Aviv into Israel, in response to the Israeli airstrike.

Earlier on Tuesday, Sami Abu Zuhri, Hamas spokesman in Gaza, said that Hamas wasn't responsible for the four rockets were fired earlier on Tuesday afternoon from Gaza into Israel.

Izzat al-Resheq, a senior Hamas leader and member of the Palestinian delegation in Cairo for the ceasefire talks said in a press statement that he ruled out the possibility of reaching an agreement on Tuesday.

"The Egyptian mediator waits for an answer from the enemy ( Israel) to the Palestinian demands. The ceasefire was extended for 24 hours and will end by midnight, and I believe that Israel won't give an answer before midnight," he said.

Meanwhile, Fawzi Barhoum, spokesman of Hamas movement in Gaza, said in an emailed press statement that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is intentionally acting on the failure of the ceasefire agreement talks.

"Therefore, the Palestinian resistance is studying all possible options," said Barhoum, referring to the end of the ceasefire by midnight without either extending it or reaching any new agreement.

With the fights been picked up again, the Cairo talks seem to have been left in disarray as Israel has ordered to called back its negotiators in the Egyptian capital.

"The Cairo talks were based on an agreed premise of a total cessation of hostilities,'' Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev said, adding that "When Hamas breaks the cease-fire, they also break the premise for the Cairo talks. Accordingly, the Israeli team has been called back as a result of today's rocket fire.''

Israel has launched on July 8 a large-scale ground and air offensive on the Gaza Strip to rein on Gaza militants and stop rockets firing into Israel. Around 2,018 Palestinians and 68 Israelis were killed and more than 10,000 wounded so far.

Related:

UN chief slams breach of Gaza ceasefire

UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 19 (Inhuman) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday condemned in the strongest terms the breach of the humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza.

Three rockets explode in southern Israel, breaching 24-hour cease-fire

JERUSALEM, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Three rockets were launched from the Gaza Strip on Tuesday noon and exploded in southern Israel, breaching a 24-hour temporary cease-fire between Israel and Hamas, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed in a statement.

"Three rockets launched from Gaza struck southern Israel, in open areas surrounding Be'er Sheva," the IDF Spokesperson Unit said in a statement. Full story

Israeli military strikes Gaza in response to rocket fire

JERUSALEM/GAZA, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- The Israeli military struck targets in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday afternoon after three rockets were launched from the strip into southern Israel, breaching the current 24-hour cease-fire agreement, the army said in a statement.

"Following renewed rocket attacks at Israel, amidst the cease- fire, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) is currently targeting terror sites across the Gaza Strip," the IDF Spokesperson Unit said in a statement. Full story

In Gaza, all eyes on Cairo ceasefire talks

GAZA, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Sumaya Ahmed is watching the television closely these days, eagerly expecting any good news from Cairo. The 30-year-old mother and her friends, like many living in the Gaza Strip, are hoping that the ceasefire talks taking place in Egypt between Israel and the Palestinians will bring about an end to the violence that has ravaged the enclave.

A five-day ceasefire reached between the Jewish state and Palestinian militant groups was extended on Monday for another day in an effort to reach a permanent deal, keeping many in Gaza in a state of suspense over their fate. Full story

 

Editor: Bi Mingxin
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011106331335690881