Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: MH 17  Gaza  Ukraine  Prince George  Mexico quake  

15 bodies found after refugee convoy attack in E Ukraine

English.news.cn   2014-08-19 21:01:34
• Ukrainian rescuers recovered 15 bodies from the site of Monday's attack on a refugee convoy in Lugansk.
• Lysenko said at least one Ukrainian soldier was killed and 28 others wounded in the clashes.
• However, Andrei Purgin, deputy prime minister of the Donetsk People's Republic, denied the accusation.
 
 
 

KIEV, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Ukrainian rescuers have recovered 15 bodies from the site of Monday's unclaimed attack on a refugee convoy in eastern Lugansk region, authorities said Tuesday.

According to Andrei Lysenko, spokesman for the National Security and Defense Council, search and rescue operations have been suspended at the site because of intense fighting near the area between government troops and independence-seeking insurgents.

Lysenko said at least one Ukrainian soldier was killed and 28 others wounded in the clashes with rebels over the last 24 hours.

He said earlier that the government was unable to count the exact number of victims in the convoy attack, but according to preliminary estimations, dozens of civilians, including children, were killed.

While trying to leave the war-torn area, the refugee convoy from the restive Lugansk city came under rocket and mortar fire on Monday morning near the site of fighting between the Ukrainian army and insurgents.

Ukrainian officials blamed the insurgents for the deadly attack, saying they used mortars and Grad rocket launchers to hit the convoy.

However, Andrei Purgin, the self-styled deputy prime minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, denied the accusation, insisting that the rebels have no ability to send mortar and rocket launchers to the remote area.

Related:

Ukraine says insurgents shoot down fighter jet

KIEV, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- A Ukrainian fighter jet was shot down by insurgents in the country's restive east on Sunday, a military spokesman said.

According to Oleksiy Dmytrashkivsky, the MiG-29 jet was downed in the Lugansk region, where government forces have been battling with the pro-independence insurgents since April. Full story

Russian humanitarian convoy moving toward Ukrainian border

MOSCOW, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- The first 16 trucks of a Russian humanitarian aid convoy has started moving toward Ukrainian border on Sunday, local media reported.

The trucks would approach the border on Sunday, but they would not cross the border, the Itar-Tass news agency quoted a representative of the contractor transport company as saying. Full story

Editor: Yamei Wang
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011103261335689091