KABUL, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- Up to 80 militants have been killed in a series of military operations in Afghan provinces within the past 24 hours, said the country's Interior Ministry on Wednesday morning.
Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) carried out cleanup operations in 11 provinces out of 34 provinces over the past 24 hours, killing 80 armed Taliban militants, wounding 69 and arresting four," the ministry said in a statement providing daily operational updates.
The ANSF also seized weapons during the above raids, the statement said.
The statement failed to disclose if there were any casualties on security forces.
The Taliban insurgent group, which has been waging an insurgency of more than one decade, has yet to make comments.
Afghan security forces took the full operational lead from foreign troops in mid-last year.
The war-torn country is due to take over the responsibility for its own security from NATO-led troops by the end of this year.
Nearly 50,000 NATO-led coalition troops, down from the peak of 130,000 in 2010, are stationed in Afghanistan. Some 32,800 of them are Americans and the United States plans to trim its forces to less than 10,000 next year.