KUALA LUMPUR, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said Saturday that it was impossible that an air-to-air missile was used to take down the MH17 flight, according to the report of The Star, a Malaysian English-language newspaper.
"It was a surface-to-air missile and in that area, such a system could be available to the Ukrainian side or the rebel forces," Hishammuddin added.
Previously there were reports saying that the U.S. intelligence analyst had concluded that the aircraft was brought down by an air- to-air missile, which was related to the Ukrainian government.
MH17 probe hampered by volatile security at crash site: UN
UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations said here Friday that a probe into the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 is being hampered by the volatile security situation at the crash site in eastern Ukraine.
"While the downing of the aircraft may constitute a war crime, a thorough, effective, independent and impartial investigation is needed to determine the facts and circumstances of this act," Ivan Simonovic, UN assistant secretary-general for human rights, said when he was briefing the UN Security Council on the current situation in eastern Ukraine. Full story
Total 23 victims of MH17 disaster identified
HE HAGUE, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- In the past week a total of 21 victims of the MH17 flight disaster in eastern Ukraine have been identified, which brings the total of identified persons to 23, the Dutch Ministry of Security and Justice declared on Friday.
Of the 21 new identifications, 16 persons had the Dutch nationality, of whom one with a dual nationality (also British). The other victims are from Malaysia (2), Germany (1), Canada (1), and Britain (1). The two already identified persons had the Dutch nationality. Full story