JERUSALEM, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- An Israeli official told the Ha' aretz daily on Thursday evening that there is no agreement at present to extend the 72-hour truce agreement beyond its Friday morning deadline.
Israel and Hamas agreed for a 72-hour truce agreement earlier this week which commenced on Tuesday at 8 a.m. local time (GMT 0500) and is set to expire on Friday.
Security officials told the Walla! news website that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon instructed the Israel Defense Forces soldiers in the south to be on standby for any scenario in case the fire resumes.
"Israel will respond forcefully if the firing would be renewed from the Strip into its territory," the website quoted the official as saying on Thursday.
During the 72-hour cease-fire, Israeli and Palestinian delegates in Cairo have been indirectly discussing issues regarding a permanent truce for Operation Protective Edge, which started on July 8.