WASHINGTON, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- The White House on Sunday offered condolences over loss of lives in China's southwestern province of Yunnan, where a strong earthquake befell earlier in the day, saying the United States was ready to help.
"The United States offers sincere condolences to all those who lost loved ones in the Aug. 3 earthquake in southwestern China," National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said in a statement.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those that lost their lives, those injured or displaced, and all the people of China on this difficult day," she added.
She said U.S. disaster response officials were in contact with their Chinese counterparts and the U.S. "stands ready to assist."
A massive relief effort is underway in Yunnan, as the death toll has risen to at least 367, with 1,881 others injured in the 6. 5-magnitude earthquake.