Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: MH 17  Gaza  Ukraine  Prince George  Mexico quake  

No cease-fire without destruction of tunnels: Israeli PM

English.news.cn   2014-07-31 18:49:40
• Netanyahu said on Thursday that Israel will continue to uproot underground tunnels in Gaza.
• Earlier on Wednesday, the IDF summoned 16,000 more reserve soldiers amid the ongoing Gaza fighting.
• According to Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza, 1,364 Palestinians have been killed since July 8.
 
 

JERUSALEM, July 31 (Xinhua) -- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday that Israel will continue to uproot underground tunnels in Gaza regardless of any possible cease-fire agreement.

"We are determined to complete this mission with or without a cease-fire,"Netanyahusaid atthe beginning of a cabinet meeting held at the Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv, according to a statement from his office.

"I will not agree to any proposal that will not enable the Israeli military to complete this important task for the sake of Israel's security," Netanyahu added.

"Hamas' capabilities could have enabled it to abduct and murder civilians and Israel Defense Forces (IDF) soldiers while attacking from the tunnels, penetrating our territory," the prime minister said.

Israel's Operation Protective Edge commenced on July 8, following rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip at southern Israeli communities and a crackdown on Hamas in the West Bank. Israel said the offensive was launched to halt the rocket fire but later stressed demolishing the tunnels.

As the operation progressed and Israeli forces embarked on a ground incursion to the strip on July 17, IDF forces focused their attention on underground tunnels making their way into southern Israel, through which suspected militants allegedly planned to launch attacks against Israelis.

The IDF said it has found several dozen tunnels and tunnel shafts and is currently focused on uprooting them. Several soldiers have been killed in altercations with militants who exited the passageways.

Earlier on Wednesday, the IDF summoned 16,000 more reserve soldiers amid the ongoing Gaza fighting, bringing the total number of reserve soldiers to around 86,000.

According to the Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza, 1,364 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed since July 8 and more than 6,780 people have been injured.

Fifty-six Israeli soldiers have died since Israel's ground incursion to the strip commenced July 17 and more than 100 soldiers are hospitalized across the country sustaining wounds of varying degrees.

Three Israeli civilians have been killed in the past three weeks from rocket attacks, as Hamas and other militant groups fired more than 2,800 rockets and mortars into south, south central, central and northern Israel.

Related:

119 Palestinians killed on 23rd day of Israeli offensive in Gaza

GAZA, July 30 (Xinhua) -- 119 Palestinians have been killed on the 23rd day of the Israeli offensive on the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, medical sources said.

Health Ministry spokesman in Gaza Ashraf al-Qedra said the casualties were killed in separate airstrikes and artillery bombardment across the Gaza Strip. Full story

Night Israeli strikes kill 13 in Gaza: medics

GAZA, July 29 (Xinhua) -- New Israeli strikes carried out overnight on Tuesday have so far killed 13 more Palestinians after the artillery shelling on Jabalia town in northern Gaza Strip, medics said.Full story

Israel not request U.S. for cease-fire in Gaza: Israeli official

JERUSALEM, July 29 (Xinhua) -- Senior Israeli officialson Tuesday deniedU.S. Secretary of State John Kerry's claim that Israel had requested the United States to promote a humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza.Full story


 

Editor: Yamei Wang
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011103261335230781