JERUSALEM, July 30 (Xinhua) -- Israeli military announced Wednesday a four-hour humanitarian cease-fire, starting from 3:00 p.m. local time (12:00 GMT) in "non-fighting" regions in the Gaza Strip.
The military coordinator of government activities in the territories said in a statement that the truce "will not apply to the areas in which Israeli soldiers are currently operating." Israeli media said that these areas include Beit Hanun in the northern Gaza Strip and the eastern neighborhoods of Shejayia, eastern Khan Younes and eastern Rafah.
"Residents must not return to areas that have previously been asked to evacuate," the statement warned.
The 23-day devastating campaign has claimed the lives of more than 1,200 people in Gaza, and over 6,500 people have been wounded, according to Palestinian health officials. It is estimated that more than 70 percent of the victims are civilians.
On the Israeli side, 53 soldiers and three civilians were killed, according to the military and police.
Israeli airstrike kills 8 in Gaza
GAZA, July 30 (Xinhua) -- An Israeli airstrike early on Wednesday killed eight Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, medical workers said.Full story
Night Israeli strikes kill 13 in Gaza: medics
GAZA, July 29 (Xinhua) -- New Israeli strikes carried out overnight on Tuesday have so far killed 13 more Palestinians after the artillery shelling on Jabalia town in northern Gaza Strip, medics said.Full story
Israel not request U.S. for cease-fire in Gaza: Israeli official
JERUSALEM, July 29 (Xinhua) -- Senior Israeli officialson Tuesday deniedU.S. Secretary of State John Kerry's claim that Israel had requested the United States to promote a humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza.Full story