Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: MH 17  Gaza  Ukraine  Prince George  Mexico quake  

Mozambican government, opposition likely to reach agreement

English.news.cn   2014-07-28 21:39:42

Mozambican government, opposition likely to reach agreement

MAPUTO, July 28 (Xinhua) -- Delegations of Mozambican government and the country's main opposition Renamo are meeting on Monday to harmer last issues after prolonged differences, as hopes come with a new approach submitted by the former rebel movement last week.

On Friday Renamo led by Afonso Dhlakama brought what was described by the government as "a new approach" to its long- running dialogue with the Mozambican government.

This new approach may lead to hopes that consensus might be reached on such subjects as the disarming and demobilization of Renamo's private militia.

It is not quite clear about the Renamo approach. Deputy head of the government delegation, Transport Minister Gabriel Muthisse was quoted by the state Radio Mozambique on Monday as saying the Renmo approach were about important aspects, trying to remove some of differences between the two sides.

"They will form the basis for a more fruitful discussion to see how this is in line with our reality," he said.

The government of Armango Guebuza believes that new Renamo approach could form a basis for work leading to an understanding on how to transform Renamo into a normal political party and end the current hostilities.

But Muthisse declined to give any details of the new proposals. "In the light of the debate, we need to assess whether they are in line with the Mozambican Constitution, our laws and our practices. "

The head of the Renamo delegation, Saimone Macuiana, also believed that with the new approach, it will soon be possible to close the question of the terms of reference for the foreign military observers who should monitor the cessation of hostilities.

He was quoted by the report as saying that these advances were not so far conclusive. "But there is an interest in us concluding this matter, so that we can end the situation the country has been living through for more than a year."

The key differences between the two sides included Renamo's demand for "parity" in the defense and security forces.

Renamo had demanded the right to appoint half of all senior officers in the armed forces (FADM) and the police.

Renamo also called for "unification" of the armed forces. This issue already happened under the 1992 peace agreement, which set up the FADM, according to Muthisse.

The FADM was formed in 1994 out of volunteers from both the old government army, the FAM/FPLM and Renamo.

But many Renamo fighters decided to go home and join their families. Some analysts said that it is possible that the Renamo leadership deliberately held some of its fighters back.

Both sides are in fighting in central Mozambique since last year. Renamo's first attack against vehicles using the main north- south highway took place in June 2013. Enditem

Editor: yanting
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001335162301