GAZA/JERUSALEM, July 25 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic Hamas movement has agreed on a 12-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip starting from Saturday morning, a Hamas official said late on Friday night.
Hamas spokesman in Gaza Sami Abu Zohri said in a brief news statement that Hamas and other Palestinian factions have agreed to a 12-hour halt of fighting proposed by the United Nations, which starts from 8:00 a.m. local time (0500 GMT) to 8:00 p.m. (1700 GMT) on Saturday.
It's the second pause of fighting since Israel and Hamas fighters started their fierce cross-border violence on July 8.
Earlier on Friday night Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu agreed on a ceasefire proposal brought by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry which starts on Saturday morning, according to Ynet news website.
The Israeli security cabinet had previously rejected a pause on the military attack in Gaza, as jointly requested by Kerry and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in Cairo on Friday.
Shortly after the rejection, Kerry said confidently that Israel is committed to finding a solution for a ceasefire in Gaza, and that there is more work to do to reach a deal on a seven-day truce between Israel and Hamas.
At present Egypt, the United Nations, the Arab League and the United States are working together to reach a seven-day " humanitarian ceasefire" for the ongoing conflict between Israel and Gaza-ruling Hamas movement.
Last week, Egypt proposed a truce but was rejected by Hamas who demanded a comprehensive solution and an end to the Israeli blockade of the restive enclave.
Despite the ceasefire efforts, Israeli airstrikes killed nine more Palestinians in the Gaza Strip on Friday night, raising the total death toll caused by Israel's military operation in Hamas- ruled territory to 864 in 19 days, mostly civilians. More than 5, 730 Palestinians were also injured, while Israel lost 35 lives, including civilians and military.
GAZA/JERUSALEM, July 24 (Xinhua) -- Though Israel's air and ground offensive on the Gaza Strip has claimed the lives of almost 800 Palestinian civilians by Thursday night, the international efforts to broker a ceasefire still have hardly showed any signs of substantial progress.
Medics said that a latest round of Israeli airstrike on Thursday hit three houses in Khan Younis in southern Gaza Strip, killing 10 Palestinians, including an infant, and injuring 15 others, raising the total death toll caused by Israel's strike to 797.Full Story
JERUSALEM, July 23 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry left Israel late Wednesday after a day-long visit in the country in which he tried to broker a ceasefire agreement to end the ongoing fighting between Israel and Hamas.
There have been no official reports regarding a possible breakthrough in the ceasefire efforts as Kerry left Wednesday night and no comments were made by Israeli officials regarding the status of the talks. Full story
GENEVA, July 23 (Xinhua) -- A special session of United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) adopted a resolution on Wednesday and decided to launch an inquiry into human rights violations from Israel latest military offensive in the Gaza strip.
The one-day special session, requested by 22 members of the council and 16 Observer States, backed a Palestinian-drafted resolution by 29 votes in favor, 17 abstentions, and one against. The United States was the sole member that cast the no ballot. Full Story