CAIRO, July 25 (Xinhua) -- Egypt, the United Nations, the Arab League and the United States are working together to reach a seven- day "humanitarian ceasefire" for the ongoing conflict between Israel and Gaza-ruling Hamas movement, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shukry said on Friday.
At a joint press conference with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Arab League Secretary- General Nabil al-Araby, Shukry said Egypt's recent ceasefire initiative is "still proposed" but "none of the parties showed full willingness" to adopt it.
Last week, Egypt proposed a truce which was rejected by Hamas that demanded a comprehensive solution and an end to the Israeli blockade of the restive enclave.
Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip, which started on July 8, has so far killed 864 Palestinians, mostly civilians including women and children, and injured 5,730 others, according to the Hamas-run Heath Ministry. At least 35 Israelis have been killed by Hamas rocket attacks.
For his part, Kerry said that the seven-day truce has not yet been approved by the concerned parties "but none of us are stopping," hoping the proposed pause of fighting would represent an opportunity for a complete ceasefire.
During his recent talks in Israel, Kerry's ceasefire bid was rejected by the Israeli cabinet.
"The only way this issue is going to be resolved -- this conflict -- is for the parties to be able to come together and work through it as people have in conflicts throughout history," Kerry told reporters in Cairo.
Ban, who has been on a regional tour to find an end to the ongoing crisis, said that the current joint efforts are "a clear signal" of global keenness to end the ongoing bloodshed in Gaza.
"We call for a seven-day humanitarian ceasefire," Ban said, calling on the Israelis and the Palestinians to use the proposed truce as a chance to start negotiations. "There is no military solution ... all parties must find the way to dialogue."