GAZA, July 20 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic movement Hamas which controls Gaza Strip said on Sunday Israel rejected the International Committee of the Red Cross's (ICRC) temporary ceasefire proposal to evacuate casualties in eastern Gaza city.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement that ICRC proposed a 3-hour humanitarian ceasefire window early Sunday to Hamas and Israel to evacuate casualties in neighbourhood of Sheja' eya in eastern Gaza city. Zuhri said Hamas accepted the proposal while Israel rejected it.
Israel has so far not responded to the statement.
At least 40 Palestinians were killed and 400 others wounded early on Sunday by Israeli artillery fire in a Gaza city neighborhood, marking Sunday the heaviest casualties since Israel launched its ground operation late Thursday night.
An Israeli spokeswoman said residents in neighborhood of Sheja' eya had received warning messages from the Israeli army ahead to evacuate their home.
Palestinian Health Ministry officials said at least 390 Palestinians, many of them civilians, have been killed in the 13- day conflict and about 3,000 have been wounded. On Israel's side, two civilians were killed by cross-border fire and five soldiers died as conflict intensified.
Israel's offensive badly hurts Gaza economy
GAZA, July 19 (Xinhua) -- For 13 days, stores, factories and businesses totally suspended, while Gaza's economy was badly hurt as Israel's ever escalating large-scale offensive on the coastal enclave continues with aerial bombardment and ground incursion that has led to the death of at least 342 Palestinians since its start earlier this month.
Economists and observers believed that the violent and intensive attacks will eventually kill the suffocating local economy that has been in fact suffering from years of rigid Israeli blockade since 2007.Full Story
Two Israeli soldiers killed in clash with Gaza militants
JERUSALEM, July 19 (Xinhua) -- Two Israeli soldiers were killed in a fire exchange with Palestinian militants who infiltrated Israeli turf through a Gaza tunnel earlier on Saturday, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed in a statement.
The two were identified as 45-year-old reserve soldier Maj. Amotz Grinberg from Hod Hasharon in central Israel, and 20-year- old soldier Adar Berenaso from the northern city of Nahariya. Both were hit by machine gunfire and anti-tank missiles.Full Story