SEOUL, July 18 (Xinhua) -- South Korea and Japan will hold talks about the militaristic Japan's sexual enslavement of Korean women next week, Seoul's Foreign Ministry said Friday.
Lee Sang-deok, director general of the South Korean Foreign Ministry's Northeast Asian Affairs Bureau, will meet in Seoul Wednesday with visiting Junichi Ihara, head of the Japanese Foreign Ministry's Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau.
The director general-level dialogue was first held in Seoul on April 16 when the two sides agreed to have such a meeting on a monthly basis, and the second meeting was held in Tokyo on May 15.
Such talks failed to be held last month as the Japanese cabinet, led by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, announced the result of its review on the Kono Statement, an official apology made by then Chief Cabinet Secretary Yohei Kono in 1993 for the sexual enslavement of Korean women.
Kono acknowledged that the imperialistic Japan was involved in the recruitment of more than 200,000 young women, mostly Koreans, and forced them to serve in front-line military brothels during the World War II.
The re-examination results said that South Korea intervened in the wording of the apology, indicating it was the consequence of closed-door political dealings.
South Korea has demanded the Japanese government acknowledge, apologize and atone for its wartime crimes.
Japan has claimed all issues related to its wartime atrocities, including the forcible recruitment of Korean women as prostitutes, were resolved under the 1965 treaty that normalized diplomatic relations between the two nations.