Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Ukraine  Prince George  Mexico quake  Malaysia Airlines  Crimea  

No cease-fire agreement reached yet: Israeli source

English.news.cn   2014-07-17 20:43:24
 • An Israeli official denied reports by media outlets that Israel, Hamas have reached a cease-fire agreement.
 • "The security cabinet was not presented with a new proposal for a cease-fire agreement," the official said.
 • Hamas has also denied such an agreement was reached as of Thursday afternoon.

 

JERUSALEM, July 17 (Xinhua) -- An Israeli official denied reports by international media outlets that Israel and Hamas have reached a cease-fire agreement that would be implemented starting from Friday.

"The security cabinet was not presented with a new proposal for a cease-fire agreement," the Israeli official told Xinhua, adding that "the report that such a cease-fire agreement was reached and agreed upon is false."

Earlier on Thursday, an Israeli official was cited by the BBC as saying that an agreement would come into effect starting from 06:00 local time (0300 GMT) on Friday, following incessant mediation attempts in Egypt.

Israeli Prime Minister Spokesman Mark Regev refused to confirm or deny the report. Hamas has also denied such an agreement was reached as of Thursday afternoon, the Walla news website reported.

Palestinian officials from the Hamas and the Islamic Jihad told the Ha'aretz daily that "some progress has been made, but a final agreement has not been reached yet."

Egyptian media outlets reported that a delegation of Israeli officials left Cairo on Thursday noon and is set to update the Israeli government on the status of the negotiations.

Operation Protective Edge entered its 10th day on Thursday. The Gaza death toll reached 230, according to Palestinian medical officials, and more than 1,682 people were wounded. Most of the casualties were reported to be civilians, including 25 children.

More than 1,200 rockets and mortars were launched in the past ten days across Israeli territories. One Israeli civilian was killed on Tuesday from mortar fire near the northern Gaza Strip border.

Also on Thursday, Israel halted its attacks on the Gaza Strip starting from 10:00 to 15:00 local time (0700 to 1200 GMT) in order to allow humanitarian aid into the heavily bombarded enclave, at the request of the United Nations Special Mideast coordinator Robert Serry.

During this time three missiles were launched from the Gaza Strip into southern Israel's Eshkol regional council. No injuries or damages were reported.

In addition, an Israeli soldier was lightly wounded as an explosion occurred while he was scanning a terror tunnel near Kerem Shalom adjacent to the southern Gaza Strip border, where the IDF foiled an infiltration attempt by 13 Palestinian militants earlier on Thursday.

Related:

Cease-fire between Hamas, Israel starts in Gaza

GAZA, July 17 (Xinhua) -- A five-hour cease-fire became valid on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. local time (0700 GMT) between Israel and Islamic Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip under the United Nations' request, officials said.  Full story

Hamas agrees on five-hour humanitarian ceasefire

GAZA, July 16 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic Hamas movement and Palestinian militant groups agreed late on Wednesday to a UN appeal of a five-hour humanitarian ceasefire with Israel on Thursday, a Hamas official told Xinhua.Full story

Israel agrees on temporary humanitarian truce in Gaza

JERUSALEM, July 16 (Xinhua) -- Israel agreed on Wednesday to cease its strikes on the Gaza Strip for five hours on Thursday to allow humanitarian aid to the enclave, the Israeli military said.

Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it will enable a humanitarian window in Gaza between 10:00 to 15:00 local time (0700 to 1200 GMT) on Thursday, as a result of a dialogue with the United Nations. But it also added that if Hamas fires rockets at Israel during the humanitarian window, the IDF will respond with force. Full story

UNRWA concerns over massive human, material losses in Gaza

GENEVA, July 15 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) expressed grave concerns here on Tuesday over the immense human losses and destructions resulting from ongoing military offensive in Gaza strip.

Sami Mshasha, UNRWA spokesman, told a press conference by telephone that the eight-day-old assault in Gaza has completely destroyed at least 560 homes, and meanwhile claimed over 174 lives and caused more than 1000 injured, adding that the number would increase by hour. Full story

Editor: Lu Hui
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011102351334917201