GAZA, July 16 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic Hamas movement on Wednesday officially informed Egypt that it doesn't accept the Egyptian initiative of ceasefire between Gaza militants and Israel, a Hamas official said.
Sami Abu Zuhri, Hamas spokesman in Gaza, said in a press statement that his movement has officially informed Egypt that it doesn't accept the initiative without elaborating.
Meanwhile, the efforts on reaching a ceasefire between Israel and Gaza Strip militants were renewed on Wednesday after reports said that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas headed to Egypt to discuss a truce in the territory.
Media sources said that Abbas may meet with Hamas movement's chief Khaled Meshaal and Hamas top leader Musa Abu Marzooq in Cairo to study an initiative presented by Egypt to ceasefire and stop the fighting in Gaza.
Nabil Shaath, member in Abbas Fatah Party, told reporters in Ramallah that Abbas will meet with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi and then will meet with Mesha'al and Abu Marzooq.
However, Mushir al-Masri, a senior Hamas Gaza leader, told Xinhua in a telephone conversation that Hamas wants Arab and regional guarantees before talking about any new truce or ceasefire with Israel.
"Over the past few days, Hamas has been receiving many contacts from Arab and Islamic countries to discuss a truce, while Turkey and Qatar are exerting intensive efforts to push forward declaring a ceasefire," said al-Masri.
He stressed that Hamas is interested in stopping the fighting in Gaza, but adding that "before ceasing fire, there have to be guarantees that oblige Israel not to violate any upcoming truce agreement."
Meanwhile, al-Masri denied that Hamas and Islamic Jihad had earlier presented any initiative to Egypt calling for a ten-year truce with Israel, adding that "this is an Israeli nonsense always published in the media."