JERUSALEM, June 20 (Xinhua) -- The Israel Air Force (IAF) struck militant sites across the Gaza Strip early on Friday, in response to continued rocket fire from the coastal territory, said a statement released by the Israeli army.
The strike came hours after two rockets were fired Wednesday evening towards southern Israel. One of the projectiles landed in an open area near the town of Sderot, causing no injuries or damage. A second projectile was intercepted by an Iron Dome rocket defense battery, the army said.
In response, the IAF targeted three concealed rocket launchers in northern Gaza, as well as a center of militant activity and a weapons storage facility in the central and southern strip, the army said in the statement.
Palestinian news agency Ma'an reported that six people were wounded in the strike.
It was the second Israeli retaliation in 24 hours. Overnight Thursday, fighter jets struck five Gaza targets, including a terror infrastructure site and an underground rocket launching pad in central and northern Gaza, after militants launched five rockets towards Israel earlier in the evening.
The Israeli army said a home sustained damage from a rocket that fell in an unnamed community, and that it intercepted one rocket over the city of Ashkelon.
Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, a military spokesman, said Friday morning that the success of the Iron Dome system in intercepting the Gaza rockets "does not change the absurd fact" that Israelis have been living under the threat of rocket fire for years.
"We shall persist in our determination to combat terror elements and eliminate the threat to Israeli lives," he said.
JERUSALEM/RAMALLAH, June 19 (Xinhua) -- Israeli security forces arrested 30 Palestinians in predawn raids in the West Bank as they continued searching for three Jewish youths abducted in the area a week ago, the Israeli military said on Thursday. Full story
JERUSALEM, June 17 (Xinhua) -- Israeli security forces arrested 41 Hamas operatives in raids carried out in the West Bank overnight Tuesday, as a massive manhunt to retrieve three Israeli teenagers abducted by militants entered the fifth day.
The Israeli military said that most of the arrests were made in the vicinity of the Palestinian city of Nablus. Nearly 1,000 infantry troops entered the Balata refugee camp and the nearby town of Awarta, where weapons and explosives had also been discovered and confiscated, Army Radio said. Full Story
JERUSALEM, June 16 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke on the phone on Monday with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, asking him to assist finding the three allegedly kidnapped teens, according to a statement by the Prime Minister's Office.
"I expect you to assist in returning the abducted youths and in apprehending the kidnappers," Netanyahu told Abbas, according to the statement. Full story