BENGHAZI, Libya, June 15 (Xinhua) -- The forces loyal to the renegade General Khalifa Haftar on Sunday launched a new offensive against Islamist military bases in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi, leaving at least four people killed and nine injured, medical sources said.
The clashes continue on the western outskirts of Benghazi, mainly in Sidi Faraj and al-Hawari district. "There are now heavy clashes. Our forces are attacking terrorists with tanks and rocket launchers," Haftar's spokesman said.
Haftar's troops also launched airstrikes in the city. Some witnesses said they saw war planes circling above Benghazi.
Sources from Abyar Rural Hospital said they had received four bodies and nine injuries.
Haftar, who played a major role in toppling Libya's former leader Muammar Gaddafi, has led a series of military operations against Islamist militia in Benghazi in the name of "purging terrorists" since last month.