SANTIAGO, June 6 (Xinhua) -- Chilean President Michelle Bachelet will attend the inauguration of the 2014 Brazil World Cup, as part of an official visit to the South American giant next week, an official source said Friday.
Foreign Affairs Minister Heraldo Munoz, who made the announcement, said Bachelet's visit to Brazil and an accompanying cultural program for Brazilian audiences were "organized to project the image of our country during this great celebration of football that is the World Cup."
The visit, he said, was also designed to "express the friendship and depth of the economic, political and cultural ties that exist between our two countries."
The cultural program will present a variety of attractions in Brazil, including a photography exhibit titled "Chile-Brazil. United by Football," and the premiere of Chile's first 3D movie " El Sueno de Todos," a documentary that follows Chile's national team as it tries to qualify for the World Cup.
The cultural events are expected to tour all the cities in Brazil where Chile is playing matches, such as Cuiaba, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and Belo Horizonte, where the team will be stationed during the championship.
Bachelet will be accompanied by six children from families that were left homeless following the powerful earthquake that hit northern Chile earlier this year and the massive forest fire that affected the resort of Valparaiso.
She will also be accompanied by retired Chilean star footballer Carlos Caszely, recently appointed the nation's sports ambassador.