WASHINGTON, June 6 (Xinhua) -- The United States confirmed Friday that another American citizen had been detained in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), bringing the number of Americans held by the Asian country to three.
Jeffrey Edward Fowle, who entered the DPRK as a tourist on April 29, was detained for hostile acts, DPRK's official news agency KCNA reported Friday.
State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said her country was aware that Fowle had been detained in the DPRK. "This is the third U.S. citizen that has been detained in North Korea," she told reporters at a daily news briefing held in the day.
Two months ago, Pyongyang detained 24-year-old Miller Matthew Todd for "rash behavior" as U.S. President Barack Obama met with President of the Republic of Korea Park Geun-hye in Seoul.
Kenneth Bae, a Korean-American missionary, was arrested in the DPRK in November 2012 and sentenced to 15 years of hard labor last year for anti-state crimes.
The U.S. State Department issued a travel warning last month, advising U.S. citizens against traveling to the DPRK, even by joining a group tour, to avoid the risk of being detained.
Harf said the U.S. remains prepared to send Robert King, its special envoy for human rights issues relating to the DPRK whose past trips had been canceled by the country, to Pyongyang to secure Bae's release.
"That's the only one I can speak about specifically," she added. "But obviously, broadly speaking, it's important for us to get all of our citizens home."
S. Korea urges DPRK to abandon nuclear weapons program
SEOUL, June 6 (Xinhua) -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Friday urged the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to abandon its nuclear weapons program and become a member of the international community.
"As long as North Korea (DPRK) continues its nuclear development and provocative threats, peace on the Korean Peninsula will go far away," Park said at the 59th anniversary commemoration of the Memorial Day held in the Seoul National Cemetery. Full Story
U.S. military lists DPRK, Iran as major threats of missile strike
WASHINGTON, May 28 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. military identified the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and Iran as the leading threats of a missile attack to the United States in future, a high-ranking U.S. military officer said Wednesday.
Speaking at the annual global missile defense conference held at the Atlantic Council's Center on International Security, James Winnefeld, vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the assessment was based on the fact that both the DPRK and Iran boast nuclear and ballistic missile programs. Full Story