KIEV, May 28 (Xinhua) -- Ukraine's State Border Service (SBS) on Wednesday reported a partial withdrawal of Russian troops from the border.
"According to our information, the pullout of troops from our borders is underway. However, intelligence units, radio units, electronic reconnaissance units as well as logistic infrastructure are staying where they were," SBS chairman Mykola Lytvyn told a press conference here.
Lytvyn said his agency didn't rule out the possibility of Russian troops returning to the area and urged the government to create a special 3,000-troop unit to strengthen control on the eastern border-crossing.
However, Lytvyn emphasized a border closure was not on the agenda.
So far, tensions have remained high in eastern Ukraine, where pro-Russia activists are engaged in conflicts with government troops.
Kiev has repeatedly blamed Moscow for inciting the unrest and splitting Ukraine. Russia denies the charges.
To ease the tension, Russia started withdrawing troops from regions bordering Ukraine on May 19.
Related:
Video: Putin: Russia will respect result of Ukraine vote
Clashes flare again as Ukraine grappling with crisis
KIEV, May 27 (Xinhua) -- As the Ukrainians are about to have a new leader who vows to put an end to the prolonged crisis, more violence flared up in the country's eastern regions, denting hope for a quick realization of stability.
On Monday, armed activists in the eastern city of Donetsk clashed with government troops at a local train station and an airport, where gunfire, explosions were heard and fighter jets seen fly over.Full Story

