WASHINGTON, May 27 (Xinhua) -- The United States on Tuesday announced the resumption of direct aid to Madagascar and invited its president for a U.S.-Africa summit following the successful elections in 2013 on the island.
"In light of Madagascar's successful 2013 elections, and the installation of a new government earlier this year, the United States has lifted all remaining restrictions on direct assistance to the government of Madagascar," State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said in a statement.
The United States suspended direct aid, except for that in health and food security, following a 2009 coup d'etat in the African country.
"As the African Union has lifted its suspension of Madagascar's membership, and we have lifted all remaining restrictions on direct assistance to Madagascar, the United States has invited Madagascar President (Hery) Rajaonarimampianina to the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit" slated for August 5-6 in Washington, Psaki said.
The U.S. is currently the largest bilateral donor to Madagascar, with more than 55 million dollars in aid for the country's food security and health programs in 2013 fiscal year, Psaki said.