THE HAGUE, May 27 (Xinhua) -- A convoy of inspectors from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) that came under attack on Tuesday while visiting a site in Syria are "safe and well now," according to an official statement.
The members of the fact-finding mission are currently on their way to the operating base, according to OPCW.
Michael Luhan, head of media and public affairs of the OPCW, told Xinhua: "We don't have full communication with the team. We have to wait until they return to the operating base to ask them and give more details."
Earlier on Tuesday, Syria's Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a statement reporting eleven people, including six members of the United Nations fact-finding mission and five Syrian drivers, were attacked by armed groups in central Syria.
OPCW Director-General Ahmet Uzumcu expressed his personal concern for the affected staff and repeated his call to all parties to cooperate with the mission.
"Our inspectors are in Syria to establish the facts in relation to persistent allegations of chlorine gas attacks," he said in a press release. "Their safety is our primary concern, and it is imperative that all parties to the conflict grant them safe and secure access."