DAMASCUS, May 27 (Xinhua) -- The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) on Tuesday denied that its investigators had been kidnapped in Syria, saying the investigators were safe and returning to base after an attack, according to a statement posted on OPCW official website.
The chemical weapon watchdog said the probe team had been attacked, but "all team members are safe and well and are travelling back to the operating base."
However, in earlier reports, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said two vehicles carrying international chemical weapons investigators were kidnapped by the armed rebels in central Syria on Tuesday, according to the official SANA news agency.
The group combined five Syrian drivers and six investigators from the fact finding mission of the OPCW, the ministry said in a statement.
The convoy was on a trip to the central town of Kafr Zaita, where the poisonous Chlorine gas had allegedly been used, according to the statement.
The OPCW also called for all sides to cooperate with the truth- finding mission.