MOSCOW, May 1 (Xinhua) -- Russian Foreign Ministry urged Ukraine not to use armed force in its southeastern regions Thursday, saying it would lead to a catastrophe.
"Moscow is seriously worried by media reports about the Kiev regime's plans to carry out a special assault operation in the southeastern regions of the country using ultra-nationalist Right Sector units," it said in a statement.
Calling the potential actions "irresponsible and aggressive," Russia said they would have catastrophic consequences if implemented.
The ministry urged Ukraine, together with the United States and the European Union, which signed the Geneva agreement on April 17, not to "make criminal mistakes and to soberly assess the gravity of possible consequences for the use of force against the Ukrainian people."
The statement came as numerous reports said Kiev had decided to retake administration buildings in east and southeastern regions occupied by pro-Kremlin activists on Friday, using its armed forces.
Earlier in the day, Russian President Vladimir Putin called for an immediate "extensive national dialogue" in Ukraine.
"Putin emphasized that it was imperative today to withdraw all military units from the southeastern regions (of Ukraine) and stop the violence," the Kremlin press service said, citing a telephone conversation between Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.