Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Malaysia Airlines  Crimea  MH370  Antarctic rescue  Mandela  

Undersea drone hunting for Malaysian jet forced to resurface to tackle technical issue: JACC

English.news.cn   2014-04-16 15:18:40

PERTH, Australia, April 16 (Xinhua) -- The Autonomous Underwater Vehicle looking for the missing Malaysian jet, Bluefin- 21, was forced to resurface again on Wednesday morning to rectify a technical issue and was redeployed thereafter, the Joint Coordination Center (JACC) confirmed in its latest information update on Wednesday.

According to the JACC, the U.S. Navy's unmanned sub was forced to resurface after being redeployed Tuesday night for a 20-hour operation, to rectify a technical issue. While on deck, its data was downloaded.

The Bluefin-21 was then redeployed and it is currently continuing its underwater search, said the JACC, adding initial analysis of the data downloaded Wednesday morning indicates no significant detections.

The underwater drone was first launched for a 16-hour operation on Monday, but was forced to abort its maiden deployment on Tuesday because it had exceeded its depth limit.

After search data from that shortened mission yielded no objects of interest, the robot submarine was sent back to the depths of the remote Indian Ocean on Tuesday night, where search authorities believe the jetliner crashed after its disappearance on March 8 with 239 people on board.

Related:

China covers 646,000 sq km searching for MH370

BEIJING, April 15 (Xinhua) -- Chinese vessels have covered 646,000 square kilometers in the southern Indian Ocean in search of the missing Malaysian flight MH370, said the China Maritime Search and Rescue Center on Tuesday.

Search efforts were about 18,000 square kilometers more than the previous day, said the center. Full story

Bluefin cuts short first dive after exceeding depth limit; Malaysia vows to reveal black box data if found

PERTH, Australia, April 15 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Navy's mini-submarine Bluefin-21 cut short its first underwater search for the Malaysian jet Tuesday after exceeding its programmed depth limit in the Indian Ocean.

Of the 40 square km of search area initially planned for its first mission, 30 percent had been covered, but no discovery related to the missing flight MH370 was made, U.S. Navy Captain Mark Matthews told Xinhua. Full story

Editor: chengyang
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001332671261