PERTH, Australia, April 16 (Xinhua) -- Up to 14 aircraft and 11 ships will assist in Wednesday's search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, while the autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) Bluefin 21 was again deployed Tuesday night from Ocean Shield for underwater searching, the Joint Agency Coordination Center (JACC) confirmed on Wednesday.
"The data from Bluefin-21's first mission has been downloaded and analyzed. No objects of interest were found," the JACC said.
As the search operation for missing Malaysian Airline flight MH370 entered the stage of underwater search, the autonomous underwater vehicle, Bluefin 21, undertook its first mission from Monday evening to early Tuesday morning.
However, an unexpected encounter with water deeper than 4,500 meter, the limit of Bluefin's diving capability, had forced the first operation to end prematurely.
The Bluefin initially has an operating cycle of 24 hours, with two hours going down, 16 hours of searching underwater, two hours coming up to the surface and four hours for data downloading, analysis and re-programming.
In addition, 11 military aircraft, three civil aircraft and 11 ships will assist in Wednesday's search. And the Australian Maritime Safety Authority has planned a visual search area totaling approximately 55,151 square km Wednesday. The center of the search areas lies approximately 2,087 km north west of Perth.
The weather forecast for Wednesday is said to be south easterly winds with isolated rain showers, sea swells up to 2 meters and visibility of 5 km.
BEIJING, April 15 (Xinhua) -- Chinese vessels have covered 646,000 square kilometers in the southern Indian Ocean in search of the missing Malaysian flight MH370, said the China Maritime Search and Rescue Center on Tuesday.
Search efforts were about 18,000 square kilometers more than the previous day, said the center. Full story
PERTH, Australia, April 15 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Navy's mini-submarine Bluefin-21 cut short its first underwater search for the Malaysian jet Tuesday after exceeding its programmed depth limit in the Indian Ocean.
Of the 40 square km of search area initially planned for its first mission, 30 percent had been covered, but no discovery related to the missing flight MH370 was made, U.S. Navy Captain Mark Matthews told Xinhua. Full story